The Florida sun and tropical weather patterns in St Augustine often can bring heat waves and humidity to the area that you may not be used to when you visit. Staying cool is essential for remaining comfortable during your stay at Southern Oaks Inn so that you keep your body temperature at a satisfactory level and can keep the good times rolling. There are certain tips and tricks to staying cool in the warm Florida climate so that your getaway with Southern Oaks Inn is a breeze.
Many of us hear it all the time, “Drink more water.” However, when staying in Florida, this is an essential factor in staying healthy and safe during your visit. Some days the area’s temperatures climb into the 90-degree area and can cause things such as heat exhaustion, dehydration, and other heat-induced illness. It is always a good idea to have a couple of water bottles with and keep them filled. Try not to drink too much soda, coffee, or sugary beverages that could dehydrate you further. Many people like to enjoy alcoholic drinks during a getaway but try to drink a full glass of water with each alcoholic drink so that you get enough water. This will help you have fun while also beating the heat.
In cold weather, it is easy to stay warm because all you need is layers. In the heat, it can be a little more tricky.
- Try to stay away from wearing dark colors as darker pigments like blacks and dark blues can absorb heat. Lighter colors will reflect the sun’s rays rather than absorbing them helping keep a bit of the heat at bay.
- Wear lighter fabrics. When you avoid fabrics like denim and trade them for lighter, breathable fabrics, it will allow more air to move through your clothing.
- Wear things that shade you. Sunglasses are not the only smart things to have on hand in hot weather. Try to pack brimmed hats, a thin scarf or shawl, or an umbrella. Staying in the shade will not only keep you cool but also block harmful rays and protect your skin from burning.
A Few Fun Hacks
There are a few small “life hacks” that can keep you cool in travels and adventures.
- You can stay more comfortable on adventures through the nearby mangroves and excursions with cooling bandanas. There are several products that you can find online that can keep you cooled off during your ventures.
- Have a cloth on hand that you can get wet and apply to your bodies “cooling spots.” When you put a cloth with cold water on the back of your neck, insides of your wrists, ankles, backs of knees, or forehead it will help bring your body temperature down slightly.
The final tip for staying cool? Jump in the pool! At Southern Oaks Inn, we have a sparkling outdoor pool that is perfect for taking a dip and shaking that Florida heat. When it comes to staying comfortable on a hot summer day at Southern Oaks Inn, the pool is the best spot on a hot summer day. Nearby beaches also offer fantastic views and of course a dip in the waves. So come and stay cool with us this summer at Southern Oaks Inn and use these hacks to beat the heat and have a blast!